History of Idaho, Volume 2, by Hiram T. French, M.S.
The Lewis Publishing Co., Chicago and New York 1914, Page 804-805
Of the nationalities that have helped to make up this great republic of ours the Swiss have necessarily had but a very small part, but though their numbers are comparatively few the quality of their citizenship is such that every community welcomes them; they have been trained to make the most of every resource and such an element is especially valued in a developing state like Idaho.
Arthur Meyer, born December 8, 1856, in Canton Aargan, Switzerland, is one of the prominent business men of New Plymouth, Idaho, who in his personal success has been contributory to the prosperity of the whole community. He is the ninth in a family of eleven children born to Jacob Meyer and Elizabeth (Flugel) Meyer, the former of whom was a music teacher and both of whom were natives of Switzerland, where they continued to reside until their deaths. Arthur attended the public schools in his native canton to the age of fifteen and then became apprenticed to learn the gardener's trade. He applied himself diligently to its mastery for three years and then, attracted by American progress and opportunity,
he crossed the Atlantic, arriving at Omaha, Nebraska, May 11, 1875. The first year here he worked as a gardener's hand; then he took up farming independently on rented land, later purchasing a farm in Burt county, Nebraska. He was quite successful in his agricultural activity and continued in Nebraska until 1903, when he sold all of his interests there and removed to New Plymouth, Idaho, locating there on March 16, 1903, at which time the town contained two business houses, one a store and the other a blacksmith shop. Shortly after his arrival he formed a partnership with Louis Wachter, who was conducting a hardware store there, and about a year later they added a lumber yard to their hardware interests.
This arrangement continued until 1908, when Mr. Meyer purchased the entire business, but a year later he resold the lumber branch to Mr. Wachter and retained the hardware and implement business, which he has since conducted. In 1911, he erected a modern cement block building on Plymouth avenue to house his implements, machinery and other such ware. He is not only one of the oldest business men there but is also one of the most successful, his personal achievements in the way of business being such as have contributed to the prosperity of the whole community. A man of sterling character, progressive and truly interested in the general welfare and development of his community, he makes his life count for good in all of its relations.
He has been chairman of the village board since its organization and he has also served as a member and secretary of the New Plymouth board of education. Politically he is identified with the Democratic party, and fraternally he is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen in Nebraska, and of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at New Plymouth, in which latter order he has filled all the offices of the local lodge and is a member of the Idaho grand lodge. He is a member of the New Plymouth Commercial Club and keeps alert to every opportunity to forward the industrial and commercial prestige of New Plymouth and its vicinity. He landed in America with $7.50 as his sole capital in the way of money; today he not only owns a thriving business but also owns sixty acres of good land near New Plymouth and is one of the substantial men of that community.
Mr. Meyer was married January 8, 1881, at Omaha, Nebraska, to Miss Elizabeth Miller, who also is a native of Switzerland, but was but a babe one year old when her parents immigrated to the United States, locating first in Iowa in 1863 and removing from thence to Nebraska in 1876. Mr. and Mrs. Meyer have four children: Anna, the wife of J. F. Creasy, of New Plymouth, who was formerly a merchant, but is now farming; Katie B., wife of William Rankin, a farmer, living in Burt county, Nebraska; Ernest F., formerly associated with his father in business but now located at Boise, Idaho and Ella, at the parental home. Mr. and Mrs. Meyer are communicants of the Swiss Protestant church and are both highly esteemed people in their community.