EDWARD E. SNYDER
History of Idaho, Volume 2, by Hiram T. French, M.S.
The Lewis Publishing Co., Chicago and New York 1914, Page 777
Edward E. Snyder, who is engaged in mercantile business at New Plymouth, Idaho, under the firm name of E. E. Snyder and Sons, has been identified with this place since February, 1908. Also he has ranching and real estate interests here, in all of which he had been successful, and today he stands as a man self made and respected. As one of New Plymouth's leading citizens, an outline of his life history is of interest in this connection, and is as follows:
Edward E. Snyder was born April 22, 1846, in Cherry Valley, New York, second in the family of five sons of Israel and Eunice (Eldred) Snyder, both natives of Cherry Valley, where they passed their lives and died. The father was a shoemaker by trade, but was engaged in farming nearly all his life, carrying on extensive operations and being very successful. In local politics he was prominent and active, affiliating with the Republicans; and in his religious faith he harmonized with the Protestant Methodist, practicing in his daily life the principles set forth as examples by the Great Teacher. Several generations of the Snyders were residents of New York, their first settlement being in the Mohawk valley. The Eldreds were among the primitive settlers of Vermont.
In the common schools of his native county, Edward E. Snyder received his education, and on his father's farm his boyhood days were passed up to the time he was eighteen. Then in the strength of his young manhood he offered himself to his country and as a member of Company G, 12th New York Volunteer Infantry, he went to the front, and served until the close of the war. He endured many of the hardships incident to war and as a result was badly shattered in health at the end of his service. Among the engagements in which he participated were the battles of Second Winchester and Fisher Hill. After the surrender of General Lee, Mr. Snyder returned to his home in New York and settled down to farming, in which occupation he was engaged there for a period of fourteen years.
At the close of the war Mr. Snyder's health was so impaired that he felt he had only a short lease on life, and farming did not prove conductive to the improvement of his physical condition, so he turned his attention to the furniture and undertaking business, in which he was engaged at Unadilla, New York, for three years and was quite successful. The next two years he was a commercial traveler. Then he removed to Superior, Wisconsin. He lived in Wisconsin and Indiana until 1908, engaged in mercantile pursuits and farming, and his next move was to Idaho. He landed at New Plymouth in February, 1908, and since then he has made this place his home, having various interests and being successful in all his enterprises. Besides being at the head of a mercantile business, he has large real estate and ranching interest.
Politically, Mr. Snyder is an independent. He has never taken an active part in public life, his own personal affairs occupying his attention, leaving little inclination or time for public service. Like all old soldiers, he is a member of the G.A.R. Also, he is a member of the Grange, and, religiously, he is a Congregationalist.
May 30, 1866, at East Wooster, New York, Mr. Snyder married Miss Gradia A. Belden, daughter of Amos Belden, a native of East Wooster. The Beldens were among the early settlers of Massachusetts and were participants in the wars of his country. Amos Belden was a veteran of the War of 1812, and his father of the Revolutionary war. Mr. and Mrs. Snyder are the parents of four children, namely: Albert T. and Edwin, associated in business with their father; Mary E., wife of Walter Phetteplace, of Dallas, Oregon, and Louie E., wife of Charles Phetteplace, of New Plymouth, Idaho.