Payette County Obituaries
           Surnames R

Welcome to the Payette County IDGenWeb

Special Thanks to Cheryl Hanson for going to all the trouble
to search each newspaper page by page to find these obituaries,
for typing them out, and for sharing them with us!


Payette Enterprise
Thursday, March 08, 1917
Cole Wathel, born December 18th, 1915, infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Raines, died early Thursday morning of pneumonia. He leaves two sisters and a brother, besides his parents. Rev. Ford Burtch, pastor of the Baptist church, conducted the funeral services at the home Friday morning and interment was made in Payette cemetery. Miss Agnes Marks, a sister, came down from Weiser Thursday morning. (Riverside Cemetery)


We desire to express our sincere thanks to our many friends and neighbors for their kindness and sympathy shown us in our sad bereavement in the loss of our little son and brother, Cole.
R. P. Rains and family, Fruitland, Idaho

Payette Enterprise
Thursday, July 19, 1917
Sunday morning our community was again visited by the Angel of death. This time he took one of our young mothers, Mrs. Lester Rands. Mrs. Rands has been in poor health for over a year, but her death came as a shock to her family and friends. She died suddenly a little after 7 o'clock Sunday morning of heart failure. Carrie Chalmers was born in Marengo, Ia., July 12, 1886. She was married at Colfax, Iowa, July 5, 1911, to Lester Rands. They lived one year in Tripp, South Dakota, coming to Idaho four years ago and building their pretty little home on Pennsylvania avenue in Fruitland. Mrs. Rands was a member of the Methodist Sunday School in Fruitland. She leaves besides her husband, a little 5-year-old daughter, Laura, a mother, Mrs. Mary Chalmers of Colfax, Ia., three sisters, Mrs. Alice Revel of Mapleton, Iowa, Mrs. Rose Holif, Yankton, So. Dakota, Mrs. Linda Bobo, Colfax, Iowa; two brothers, John of Fort Dodge, Iowa, and Andrew of Canada. A service was held at the house Monday morning by Rev. C. L. Walker, pastor of the Methodist church. The body was shipped to Colfax, Iowa, Mr. Rands accompanying it.

Mrs. Rands was always cheerful and so hopeful of regaining her health. In her testament which she had been reading was found several passages recently marked. Among them was one which we feel sure left as a message for her loved ones, "And he shall wipe every tear from their eyes and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain any more." Rev 21:4. The community sympathizes with the family in their bereavement.

Fruitland Banner (Friday, July 20, 1917)

Southern Death of Mrs. Rands

Mrs. Carrie Rands, aged thirty-one years, wife of Lester S. Rands, of Fruitland, died at her home on Pennsylvania avenue, last Sunday morning about eight o'clock, death being due to heart trouble. Mrs. Rands had been in poor health for some time but her death was unexpected.

Brief services were held at the home Monday morning at 9:30, conducted by Rev. Walker, of the Methodist church. The remains were taken to Des Moines, Iowa, on the noon train for interment, accompanied by Mr. Rands.

Deceased had been a resident of Fruitland for the past four years and besides her husband she leaves a little daughter, Laura, four years old and a number of other relatives to mourn her loss.

Payette Enterprise
Thursday, November 17, 1921
Little Fern Rands, little 6 year old daughter of the late Frank Rands, died at the home of Mr. and Mrs. C. E. Sandy near Star Saturday. She had been ailing for the past 10 days, but her condition was not that to be serious, however, she took worse Saturday morning and died in a few hours. Funeral services were held at the home Sunday afternoon. Those going from here were: Mr. and Mrs. T. J. Beckwith, Mrs. W. A. Cloude and Edith, Misses Marguerite Waite and Elizabeth Gibbons, Messrs. Elwin Rands and Harold Vestal and Mr. and Mrs. A. L. Gorham and Earle Rands of Payette, Mr. and Mrs. Coons were taken over Saturday by J. W. Beehler.

Payette Enterprise
Thursday, February 05, 1920
Franklin D. Rands died of pneumonia, following an attack of influenza, at his home just east of Fruitland, on Thursday of last week. He was born at Tripp, South Dakota, on September 2, 1888. On February 14, 1912 he married Miss Bernice Patton and of this union six children were born. Besides his wife and children, his father, mother and three brothers survive him. Mr. Rands had a host of friends in this vicinity and his death came as a shock to the entire community. Fruitland extends deepest sympathy to the bereaved relatives. (Riverside Cemetery)

Payette Enterprise
Thursday, February 12, 1920
Oran C. Rands was born at Tripp, S.D. on January 22, 1885, and departed this life on February 3, 1920 at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Rands, at Fruitland, Idaho. The cause of his illness was pneumonia following an attack of influenza. He is survived by a father, mother, two brothers and other relatives and many friends. Only last week his brother Franklin succumbed to the same disease. The sympathy of the community is extended to the sorrowing relatives. (Riverside Cemetery)

The Payette Independent
Thursday, November 21, 1929

Josephine M. Randall, wife of George B. Randall, departed this life in Payette, Saturday morning, November 16th, after a suffering illness of several months during which time all possible medical aid and attention was given her.

Josephine M. Owens was born in Yakima, Washington, February 28th, 1880, being 49 years, 8 months, and 18 days old at time of departing this life. She was united in marriage to George B. Randall, at Moscow, Idaho, September 28th, 1896. To this union were born four sons and one daughter all of whom were at her bedside and present at the funeral which was held at Bruneau, Idaho, at 2:00 p. m. Monday, November 18th, 1929. Appropriate services being held in the Congregational church and burial made in the cemetery at Bruneau.

Mrs. Randall was a kind and loving mother and wife and made many loving friends among the acquaintances she met since her moving to Payette about two years ago.

The sympathy of these friends are extended to her relatives who are bereft of the dear wife and mother.


We hereby desire to express our sincere thanks and appreciation for the loving kindness and sympathy extended us during the sickness and recent bereavement and for the beautiful floral offerings at the funeral of our beloved wife and mother. George. B. Randall, Payette, George W. Randall and wife, Bruneau, James H. Randall and wife, Mountain Home, Elmer R. Randall, Payette, Everett L. Randall, Payette, Faye E. Randall, Payette

Payette Independent
October 22, 1891
RANDALL - Monday night, October 19th, 1891, at the home of her father, Josiah Randall, in Payette, Martha Randall, aged 5 years. Funeral was conducted from the M.E. church Tuesday at 2:30 p. m. (Washoe Cemetery)

Payette Independent
Thursday, February 26, 1903
Death at New Plymouth

The seven-year-old son of A. W. Ransom of New Plymouth, died this (Thursday) morning with scarlet fever. Three other children in the family are down with the disease. (Parkview Cemetery)

Payette Independent
Thursday, March 12, 1903
Deaths From Scarlet Fever

Floyd Ransom, the three-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. A. W. Ransom, of New Plymouth, died Wednesday night with scarlet fever. This makes the second child in the family to die with the disease within the last few weeks. The other children of Mr. and Mrs. Ransom, who were down with the disease now said to be out of danger. (Parkview Cemetery)

New Plymouth Sentinel
Friday, February 06, 1920
Mrs. Andy Rasmussen died at her home near Falk, Friday, of pneumonia, the result of the flue. The funeral was held Sunday at the family home. A son and daughter are seriously ill also. (Stuart Falk Cemetery)

According to the Idaho Death Index, Stena Rasmussen died 30 January 1920 (Cheryl)


Payette Enterprise
Thursday, October 09, 1930

Robert Stewart Reavis was born March 14, 1856, at Elems Sprinks, Ark., and lived there until April 1, 1878, when the family moved to Idaho, where they have since resided. He departed this life at his home in Payette on First Avenue South, Monday, October 6, 1930, after having been failing in health for over a year.

He was married to Mary Ellen Pearce on September 22, 1876, to which union six children were born, all of whom are living. Daisy I. Jewell of Payette; Emma Cool and Jessie Day of Portland, Ore.; Maud Cartwright of Payette; Anna Caldwell of Yakima, Wash.; and William Reavis of New Meadows, Idaho. He also leaves to mourn his loss his devoted wife, Mary Reavis, and two sisters, Anna Applegate of Payette and Mrs. C. Ben Ross of Pocatello, Idaho, and a brother John J. Reavis of Portland, Ore. and twenty grandchildren and two great grandchildren and a host of friends.

He was one of Idaho's sturdy pioneers helping to develop the state and numerous people have been made happier by his generous and genial disposition and we softly say "rest old pioneer."

Funeral services were held Wednesday at 2:00 p. m., at the Baptist church in Midvale, Idaho and services were conducted by the Odd Fellows Lodge at the Midvale cemetery, he being a member of Ross Lodge No. 96, I. O. O. F. All the children were present for the funeral including other relatives, pioneers and sorrowing friends.

Payette Enterprise
Thursday, June 15, 1916

Robert Redington, eldest son of Mrs. Lillie B. Redington, died Tuesday morning of epilepsy, at his mother's home. Mrs. Redington had been out in the garden and on going into the house found he had passed away during her absence. Dr. Wright was called but found nothing could be done. He was born near Licksville, Minn., Sept. 27, 1883. He came to Idaho with his parents when two and one-half years of age, and has made his home here or in Payette with his mother all his life, except from the age of 12 to 18, when he resided with relatives in Ohio. The past year has been spent on the Fruitland ranch. He was a conscientious Christian young man of splendid character and has been a member of the Christian church of Payette, many years. His father, William Redington, was accidentally killed about 10 years ago. He leaves his mother and two brothers, Jesse, of Washington, and Harry, at home.

Mr. Jesse Redington, brother of deceased, arrived Wednesday night from his home in Meringo, Washington.

The family have the sympathy of their many friends both in Fruitland and Payette.

The funeral services were conducted from the Christian church in Payette, by the pastor, Rev. Benjamin Smith.

Fruitland Banner (Friday, June 16, 1916)

Robert Redington Dies

Robert Redington, eldest son of Mrs. Lilly Redington died at the home of his mother, west of Fruitland, Tuesday morning of epilepsy. Mrs. Redington had been out in the garden and upon returning to the house found her son dead.

Deceased was 33 years old and is survived by his mother and two brothers. The funeral services were held at Payette Thursday afternoon in the Christian church, Rev. Benj. Smith officiating. (Riverside Cemetery)

Payette Independent
Thursday, September 20, 1923
Word has been received from M. D. Reed and wife of Iowa, by relatives here, that there is a possibility that their daughter Miss Alice, who is a missionary, stationed at Yokahoma, Japan, lost her life in the earthquake there. The last word they received from her was on August 21st stating that she intended going to China the following day. Outside of that nothing is known as to her welfare.

Payette Independent
Friday, May 27, 1904
George Arthur Reed, the little 3-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Reed, died Saturday morning from complications of measles and pneumonia. The funeral services were held at the home on Broad street Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock by Rev. W. E. Bobbitt of the Christian church. From there the body was conducted to Riverside cemetery where it was tenderly laid away in its last resting place.

Mr. and Mrs. Reed wish to extend their heartfelt thanks to their many friends and neighbors who so kindly sympathized with and helped them during the sickness and death of their little son. (Riverside Cemetery)

Payette Enterprise
Thursday, July 02, 1914

George Reimers was born in Scott county Iowa, May 10th 1877 and passed away at Good Samaritan hospital in Portland on June 16th. Interment was made in Riverside cemetery Payette, Idaho on June 19th. His death came as the result of an operation which followed an illness of 18 years during which time he patiently suffered a great deal of pain. Mr. Reimers was by trade a bricklayer and was a resident of Payette for a short while at one time and many people here became acquainted with him. Since he left Payette several years ago he has been making his home in Portland. He leaves a wife but no children.

Four brothers Henry, William, and John all well known residents of this valley survive him and also a brother Herman who lives near Portland. (Riverside Cemetery)

Payette Enterprise
Thursday, November 07, 1918
Another young life was nipped in the bloom of youth when death entered the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Reimers November 6, at 10:30 a.m. and claimed the daughter, Miss Mamie, 18 years of age. Death was caused from scarlet fever. The funeral was held this afternoon at two o'clock. As we were unable to learn the particulars, an obituary will be published next week.

Payette Enterprise (Thursday, November 14, 1918)


Mamie Reimers was born at Reinbeck, Iowa, May 17th, 1899 and died at her home three miles south of Payette, November 6, 1918, age 19 years, 5 months and 20 days. She moved with her parents seven years ago to Wilsonville, Oregon, and one year later to Payette. She was a graduate from the Payette High School in 1916 and was a favorite among the members of her class. She was taken ill while working in the Fifer restaurant at Ontario just a week before her death and removed to a rooming house where her condition was thought not serious until a short time before her death when she was removed to her home and it was learned by a physician that her illness was scarlet fever, and while everything was done that loving hands and physician's skill could do, death came to relieve her at 10:30 a.m., Wednesday, November 6. She leaves to mourn her death, a father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. John Reimers, five sisters, Lillie, Frieda, Eva, Anna and Marie, all of whom are at home, and one brother George Reimers in the service in France.

Funeral services were held from Wood and Spaulding's undertaking Parlor Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock conducted by the pastor of the German Lutheran church with only the immediate family present on account of the prevailing epidemic. Interment was made in Riverside Cemetery. (Riverside Cemetery)

Payette Independent
Thursday, August 28, 1902
Clarence Relyea, aged 26 years, son of Mr. and Mrs. A. Relyea, who reside near New Plymouth, died on Tuesday 19th inst. The family of deceased request the INDEPENDENT to express their thanks to friends and neighbors who extended their assistance during the last sickness and at the funeral of their son and brother. (Parkview Cemetery)

New Plymouth Sentinel
Thursday, February 23, 1911
Death of Mrs. Relyea

Mrs. A. Relyea passed peacefully away at her home, one mile east of New Plymouth, Feb. 21, 1911. She was aged 62 years, 4 months and 23 days.

She leaves to mourn her demise a loving husband, 11 children and friends innumerable.

Mrs. Relyea was a pioneer of the Payette valley and none ever entered her home without a warm welcome, nor left without feeling the warmth of a genuine hospitality. Sickness did not destroy the charm of a kind and indulgent disposition nor old age diminish her unselfish solicitude for her friends and loved ones.

Adhering to the Christian faith, she joined the Baptist church at Jackson, Mich., in 1875, and was a true Christian in every sense of the term.

May time bring its resignation, and may the shores of eternity that receive her soul, surround it with everlasting sunshine and flowers.

Funeral services will be held at the Baptist church on Friday, Feb. 24, at 2 p.m. Friends and acquaintances respectfully invited to attend.

Funeral of Mrs. Relyea (New Plymouth Sentinel, Thursday, March 2, 1911)

The funeral of Mrs. A. Relyea took place from the Baptist church last Friday afternoon, Rev. Blom officiating, and a choir, consisting of Mrs. E. E. Cox, Mrs. Blom, C. S. French and E. W. M. Day, sang sweet, solemn music that touched every heart.

The funeral was pathetic beyond expression, for not one, as the last good-byes were said, but felt that a loss had been sustained for which there is no compensation.

The beautiful life of Mrs. Relyea has passed into the joy of her Lord, and the memory of that noble life will always be a perpetual inspiration.

Payette Independent
Thursday, June 25, 1903

Aged Woman Instantly Killed by Being Thrown from a Hack and Her Neck Broken

One of the most shocking fatal accidents in the history of Payette for several years occurred Wednesday evening near town, between 5 and 6 o'clock, as the result of a runaway, when Mrs. Sarah E. Renner, mother of Mrs. M. W. Watts, 68 years of age, was thrown from a hack and instantly killed. The neck of the aged woman was broken by the fall, the back of her head was crushed in, and her body was badly bruised in several places. Several other women and children who were in the hack with Mrs. Renner when the horses became frightened and started to run managed to jump out without injury, with the exception of Mrs. S. W. Hickerson, the driver, who was thrown down after reaching the ground with the lines in her hand and dragged for a few feet, but it is thought not dangerously injured.

The accident was one of those regrettable but seemingly unavoidable occurrences so often had with horses. A party of the West Side neighborhood composed of Mrs. Hickerson and two small children and her baby, Mrs. Wm. Droege, Mrs. J. E. Putnam, little Zadie Keith and Mrs. Renner, the deceased, had gone out to Chas. Hartung's ranch, about three and one-half miles north of the city, to pick gooseberries, making a sort of picnic of their trip, all in high spirits and filled with the zest of life in harmony with the beautiful June day, little thinking that if was to end in such sorrow. They started for home shortly after 5 o'clock and had gone but a short distance, having reached a place just this side of the Brodersen ranch, where the road is narrow, running between a wire fence and a cut for a big ditch, when a band of range horses came down from the hills and ran around them, frightening and greatly exciting their team, which began backing. Fearing that they would be backed into the ditch or the fence, the occupants of the back began jumping out. They all reached the ground in safety with the exception of Mrs. Renner and Mrs. Hickerson's baby, which the former, who was in the back seat, had been holding, but which in the confusion had fallen to the bottom of the conveyance. Distracted with fear for her little one, Mrs. Hickerson rushed to the side of the hack and managed to lift it out. In doing so the lines were jerked from her had and she was thrown down, and although she cried to Mrs. Renner to jump out the poor women seemed to be so prostrated with fear as to be unable to do so, and an instant later the maddened horses started to run down the road towards town, with the lines dragging and the unfortunate occupant of the hack entirely at their mercy. The last seen of the distressing spectacle by the others of the party, until the body was later found in the road, was as the rig went over the brow of a small hill when Mrs. Renner seemed to have fallen down between the seats.

As soon as possible the other members of the party followed down the road after the team. Just before they reached the corner at the top of the hill above E. L. Turner's place, about three-quarters of a mile from where the horses started to run, they came upon the pitiful sight of Mrs. Renner, prostrate in the road bleeding about the head in several places. It is understood that she emitted a groan as they lifted her but they were soon convinced that she was past all medical aid. She was placed upon a blanket which had fallen from the hack and covered with the aprons of those in the party and one of them then went to Mr. Turner's house and phoned to town for help. A man who was passing by in a buggy afterwards brought the body to town and it was taken to the cottage of the deceased in Peter's addition. Upon the arrival of a doctor it was found that the neck of the unfortunate woman had been broken and she was otherwise injured as previously stated.

After Mrs. Renner was thrown out the horses ran on down the road a few hundred yards farther until they collided with a telephone pole, when they broke loose, afterwards being caught and brought to town.

This (Thursday) morning at 9 o'clock although there was no desire for such action upon the part of the relatives of the deceased, an inquest upon the body was held by Coroner Delano, who insisted that it was necessary, the jury having rendered a verdict in accordance with the facts brought out as above stated. Mrs. Hickerson was so shocked by the awful experience and grief at the death of Mrs. Renner that she was unable to attend the inquest, her statement of the facts having been taken at her home.

Mrs. Sarah E. Renner was born in Ontario, Canada, and was 68 years of age on June 6. She had lived in Indiana and Illinois for a number of years and in Norton county, Kansas, for 20 years prior to coming to Payette about two and one-half years ago. Besides her daughter Mrs. Watts of Payette, she left three sons, two in Kansas and one in California. The funeral will take place from the German Baptist church, of which deceased was a member, Friday morning at 10 o'clock. (Riverside Cemetery)

Funeral of Mrs. Renner (Thursday, July 2, 1903)
The funeral services of Mrs. Sarah E. Renner, who was killed on Wednesday evening of last week in a runaway accident, was conducted by the Brethren at their church on the West Side at 10 o'clock on Friday morning, June 25th, before a well filled house of friends and relatives, after which the remains were laid to rest in Riverside cemetery.

The deceased was born in Coburg, Canada, June 6, 1834. Her maiden name was Watt. She was married to Johnson Miller February 16, 1852. Four children were born to them by this union: Mary J., James L., David and Anna, wife of M. W. Watts, now a resident of Payette. Becoming a widow by the death of her husband, the deceased was married to Abram Renner, in Nebraska, during October, 1878. She had been a faithful member of the Brethren church 45 years. (Riverside Cemetery)

Payette Enterprise
Thursday, December 23, 1920

was buried on Tuesday, Dec. 21st, 1920. The services being in the Presbyterian church, conducted by the pastor, assisted in the music by Mrs. Eastman and Mrs. McDonald. The Yeomen also added their ritual service at the grave.

Mr. Rhoads was born in Ottawa, Ill., July 13th, 1866, and died in Payette, Idaho, December 19, 1920. In the state of his birth there remain an aged mother, three brothers and three sisters, with yet another sister in Beinet, Syria, where her husband is a faculty member of the Syrian Protestant College.

The subject of this sketch came west in 1887, and while at the Government School at Sisseton, S. Dak., met Christina De Loeuw who became his wife, the Mrs. Rhoads we all know so well.

In 1902 they came to Payette with the three boys, George Wesley, John Webster, and Stephen G. and a little girl, Marian. To this group another boy Harry was added in the Payette home. These five grew up here, and are so well known that little needs be spoken. The three older boys did however make a military record that should not be passed without mention, since it was their father's experience that probably gave them the impulse to join the State Guards. He served his country in that capacity when a young man, and one after another as they grew up, they pledged themselves to the same loyalty. One result of this is that the second son, John Webster, lies buried in a little French burying ground, having made the last full measure of sacrifice in defense of Democracy. The other two served as they were commanded in the carnage overseas, but returned to enjoy the blessing of peace and longer life. Marian is married to Emmett Morrell; their home is in Pocatello. Harry is nearing the end of his course in our High School.

Beside the persons mentioned as having part in the funeral there were so many others, individuals and organizations that offered their help and brot flowers to literally hide the casket that it needs only a few added words to say all that can be said in honor of a man, husband, father, citizen. Very unpretentious, he yet so lived that nobody hesitated to call on him for personal help, or public service. Neither did any one ever doubt where to find him on questions of right and civic duty. He sought to make all his part of the world a fit place for boys and girls to grow up in, and parents never felt alarm when their young people were at the Rhoads home. He did not accomplish this alone for he had a worth helpmate. But he never shirked his part in helping making it so. He sought the opportunity to speak the right work in season and all who knew him intimately will testify that he succeeded beyond the measure of most men. (Riverside Cemetery)

Payette Enterprise
Thursday, June 13, 1918

Effects of War Coming Home - Lieut. Rhoads Killed On April 27 - Parents receive Telegram

At last we are brought face to face with the sad intelligence of the first of our boys surrender his life for his country. It brings home to the people of this community the realization that our boys are now facing the cruel and inhuman Huns. That they are true Americans, willing to face death in defense of democracy and freedom. Webster Rhoads, who was a son of Mr. and Mrs. George W.. Rhoads of Payette, enlisted in company I five years ago when but seventeen years old, and went with his company to the Mexican border in the summer of 1916, and to Boise in April 1917, where the Company was mustered into the service of the National Government. After going to training camp he was commissioned to Second Lieutenant and assigned to another detachment which left for France in January, 1918. The news of his death came last Monday, and was very meager -- just a message to his parents stating he was officially reported killed in action April 27th. Further particulars will undoubtedly be received later. Mr. and Mrs. Rhoads, who have two more sons at the front have the deepest sympathy of a large circle of friends, who share with them a hope that Web may yet be alive and only missing in the strange confusion that war brings.

Payette Enterprise (July 4, 1918)


Payette has not planned a celebration of the ordinary sort, but the anniversary of Independence Day should be made to mean more this year than ever before. Accordingly we have planned to use one hour of the day in meditating on the case of our "first soldier to make the complete sacrifice to the cause of world Liberty." There has been delay in arranging this because the report of Lieu. Rhoads death was so long in reaching us, but now to have his deed as the theme for our keeping Independence Day is most fitting and we hope it will give larger meaning to both events. The meeting will be in the school grounds at 11 o'clock a.m. (Riverside Cemetery)

New Plymouth Sentinel
Friday, January 21, 1921

Lucy, the fourteen year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Rice, died of pneumonia at their home on Big Willow Monday evening. The Rice family recently lived on a farm west of New Plymouth. (Applegate Cemetery)

Payette Enterprise
Thursday, September 04, 1930

Delilah Harriet Russell was born at Rock Island, Ill., May 18, 1861. She was the only child of Charles A. and Harriet A. Russell. When only two years old her mother passed away. In 1864 her father was married to Abby Drown, in whose home she grew to womanhood. In the spring of 1877, she moved with her father to Guthrie Center, Iowa. On November 28, 1880, she was married to Lewis H. Rich at Guthrie Center, Iowa. To this union was born four children, Ira W. Rich, Mrs. Lena Thomspon, Mrs. Muril Dalzell and Charles L. Rich.

When about 14 years of age she was converted and baptized in the Christian church at Rock Island, Ill., later changing her membership to the Union church near Guthrie Center, Iowa.

In the spring of 1908 she moved with her husband and family to Fruitland, Idaho, where she transferred her church membership to the M.E. church here.

She was a kind and loving wife, a good mother, and a faithful friend to all who knew her. She was loved by all, as she always had a friendly word and cheery smile for everyone she met. In times of trouble she was always ready and willing to lend a hand and help in any way she could. She will be greatly missed in the home, the church and the community in general.

Two years ago she was afflicted with asthma and heart trouble. Last January she suffered several weeks with influenza and bronchial pneumonia, from the effects of which she never fully recovered. About four weeks ago she suffered a nervous breakdown and complication of heart disease. She was carefully cared for by her physician and family who did all that loving hands could do for her. On Wednesday night she closed her eyes in a deep sleep and remained so until 6:35 Thursday evening, August 28, when her heavenly Father called her gently home, surrounded by her husband, children, grandchildren and a few loving friends. She was 69 years, three months and ten days old. Had she lived until November 28, she and her husband would have celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.

Besides her husband and four children, she leaves to mourn her, four grandsons, two granddaughters, and a half sister in Iowa, besides a large circle of friends.

Funeral services were held from the M. E. church in Fruitland Sunday morning at 11 o'clock, conducted by Rev. George Roseberry. Interment was made in Riverside cemetery in Payette. (Riverside Cemetery)

Payette Enterprise
Thursday, January 24, 1918

After a long illness, John Rich passed away at his home near Fruitland, on Monday morning, January 21. He was born near Guthrie Center, Iowa, July 18, 1870. He was united in marriage to Miss Nellie Perkins of Guthrie Center, who departed this life a few months after marriage. Several years later he was married to Miss Martha Wheeler and to this union were born two children, Geo. Jefferson and Julia Marie. While the two children were still in their infancy the mother was called to her heavenly home, leaving Mr. Rich again alone.

Some years later he came to Fruitland where he has since resided. After coming to Idaho he was united in marriage to Miss Nora Skaggs and to them were born two children, Lola Edith and Fanny. He leaves besides his children, four brothers and three sisters were at his bedside. His son George from Green River, Utah, helped to care for him in his last illness, as did his sister, Mrs. Hall.

Funeral services were held at the home at 3 o'clock on Monday afternoon, Rev. Charles McCoard assisted by Phillip Smith conducting the services. The music was beautifully rendered by a quartette consisting of Mrs. Kinsey and daughter Esther and Messrs. Gardner and Hendy. After the funeral, L. H. Rich departed with his brother's remains for Guthrie Center, Iowa.

Card of Thanks

We wish to thank the many kind friends who assisted in the care during the sickness and death of our dear one. Geo. and Lola Rich, Mrs. O. P. Hall, Mr. and Mrs. L. H. Rich

Payette Independent
Thursday, March 15, 1923
Card of Thanks

We wish to thank the many kind friends and neighbors who tendered their aid and sympathy during the sickness and death of our beloved husband and father. Especially do we wish to thank the members of the Elks' Lodge.
Mrs. A. C. Rich and Children

The Payette Independent
Thursday, November 27, 1924
Gienny Raymond Rich was born in Penora Iowa, Jan., 27, 1899. When quite small he moved with his parents to Goodrich, North Dakota, where he lived until four years ago, when he came to Fruitland and has since made his home with C. L. Rich. He had been in comparatively good health until last March, when he suffered an attack of scarlet fever, followed by muscular rheumatism, appendicitis, and bad tonsils, from which he never fully recovered, leaving him with leakage of the heart. He had been unstable to work and under the doctor's care ever since, and five weeks ago he was confined to his bed, but it was not thought the end would come to soon. He was patient and kind thru all his suffering and only those who saw him can know what he suffered. He passed away Saturday evening at 9:45. He leaves to mourn his loss, his father, Frank Rich, his mother having preceded him in death five years, one sister, Mrs. Frank Spencer, of Oberon, N. D., three brothers, Cecil, Carl and Vernie of Goodrich, N. D., the aunt and uncle, Mr. and Mrs. I. H. Rich, his cousins, Mrs. Frank Thompson, Mrs. I. E. Dalzell, Lois and Charlie Rich of Fruitland, and Fannie Rich of Payette, besides a host of friends who will miss his cherry smile and his sunny disposition. He was one of Fruitland's finest young men and loved by all who knew him. Funeral services held from the Methodist church Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock, conducted by Rev. Kotent? assisted by Rev. Herschel Shank, and interment was made in Riverside cemetery, where it was his request to be buried. (Riverside Cemetery)

Card of Thanks

We wish to thank the friends and neighbors, who assisted us during the sickness and death of our loved one. Also for the beautiful floral offerings. Frank Rich, Carl Rich, Mrs. Frank Spencer, Mr. and Mrs. L. H. Rich, Mr. and Mrs. C. I. Rich, Mr. and Mrs. I. E. Dalzell, Mr. and Mrs. F. E. Thompson

Payette Independent
Thursday, April 02, 1903
Death of P. S. Richards

W. W. Paine of Washoe, received a telegram Tuesday morning from Santa Ana, Cal., announcing the death at that place of Mrs. Paine's brother, Pulaski S. Richards, formerly a prominent citizen of the Lower Payette Valley. The body was shipped on Wednesday for Payette to be interred in Riverside cemetery. It was accompanied by B. Hand, a cousin of the deceased, and is expected to arrive the last of the week.

The deceased was 72 years of age. He came to the Payette Valley about 18 years ago and for a period of about 15 years was one of its successful ranchers and stockmen, having been the owner of a fine place on Washoe Bottom. He was always known and respected as a man of sterling worth and his many friends in the community will regret very much to hear of his death. (Riverside Cemetery)

Payette Enterprise
Thursday, February 20, 1930

Word has been received of the death of Dan Richardson, formerly of this place, at his home in Ontario, California, Thursday evening, February 13, at 6 o'clock. An unfortunate circumstance was that his father, J. F. Richardson, who has been in very poor health and suffering from heart trouble, had just moved there so he could be near his son. Apprehension is now felt for the father.

The deceased leaved a wife and two sons, father and mother and a sister at Eureka, California. He was in the undertaking business and had been doing well there.

The Payette Independent (Thursday, February 20, 1930)


Dan Richardson, a former Payette county man died Thursday, February 13, at his home in Ontario, Calif., after a short illness. The sad news was conveyed to C. E. Sales of Fruitland.

Mr. Richardson was about 45 years of age and was a resident of the Fruitland bench for many years where he was highly respected by a large circle of friends. he moved to California about five years ago. He is survived by a wife and two sons, a father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. J. F. Richardson and one sister.

Mr. Richardson had done well since moving to California, was owner and operator of a large undertaking establishment at Ontario.

Payette Enterprise
Thursday, June 01, 1922
Mrs. Ralph Waldo Richardson

Ethel E. Frazier, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. S. R. Frazier, was born near Missouri Valley, Iowa, December 1, 1883. Died at St. Joseph hospital Omaha, May 20, 1922. She and Ralph W. Richardson were married January 1, 1905. To this union five children were born, Waldo D., Thomas E., Wilbur, Ruth E. and Edgar. Thomas and Wilbur died in infancy. Besides her husband, children, father, mother and father-in-law, she leaves three sisters, three brothers, Mrs. C. E. Barnes, Eagle, Idaho; Mrs. W. J. Orcutt, Bend, Oregon; Mrs. C. M. Brown, Nampa, Idaho; Thomas H. Magnolia; Clyde C. and James E., Payette, Idaho.

She became a Christian in early life and united with the Congregational church. Until her health failed she was actively engaged in Sunday school and church service. A good neighbor, assisting in sympathy and service, doing all she could in sickness and suffering, a loving wife, an ideal mother, her home her chosen sphere. She bore long and intense suffering with fortitude. To her death was a call to the home prepared for those who love the Lord. We who walked the road of common service with her known this life which seems gone from us, has not departed. She lives in her work, her friends, her family, in our memory, relief was stronger than death and rises superior to it.

The funeral service was held from the Congregational church Tuesday, May 23, 1 A. M., Rev. Geo. Main, of Albion, Nebr., officiating. The service was largely attended by sympathizing friends. Interment in Magnolia cemetery. (Logan, Iowa, Observer)


Payette Enterprise
Thursday, January 18, 1917
Mary Elizabeth Downs was born November 25th, 1849 in Franklin County, Vermont. In 1858 she came with her parents to Magnolia, Iowa. March 17th, 1877, she was married to Philo M. Richardson. To this union were born two children, a son and daughter, the daughter dying at birth and the son Ralph W. at whose home she died. Mrs. Richardson had only recovered from la grippe when she was stricken with pneumonia from which she died Jan. 10, after an illness of 12 days. Funeral services were held at the home at 9:30 conducted by Rev. Ford Burtch of the Baptist church, after which the husband accompanied the body to their old home in Magnolia, Iowa, where additional services will be held and burial made at Magnolia Cemetery. The many friends of the family sympathize with them in their bereavement.

The Payette Independent
Thursday, July 09, 1931
Valley Pioneer Dies In Ontario Hospital

Mrs. J. F. Richardson, old-time resident of Payette Valley, died Monday afternoon at 2:45 at the Holy Rosary hospital in Ontario, Oregon, after a brief illness.

The deceased came to Payette from Ontario, California three weeks ago today to visit at the home of Mrs. M. May, living in Washoe, and to visit other old friends. She was taken sick two weeks ago, suffering from heart trouble, and was removed to the Ontario hospital, where her condition grew worse.

Mrs. Sill, daughter of Mrs. Richardson, arrived from Ontario, Calif., Wednesday. It is understood that she will accompany the body to California, where interment will be held.

Funeral services will be held Friday morning at the Peterson Undertaking Parlor at 10:00 a.m.


New Plymouth Sentinel
Friday, February 11, 1921
News of the death of the little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Dick Richey of Bakersfield, Calif, who were former residents of New Plymouth, reached here this week. The child had a contraction of measles and pneumonia.


Payette Enterprise
Thursday, February 14, 1918

Sarah Roberts Riffle was born August 27, 1859 in Lee County, Iowa, and live there until 1890 when she went to Salem, Iowa, where she was married February 12 to Wm. Austin Riffle.

In December 1905 they came to Idaho where she has since made her home. When but a young girl she made confession and joined the Church of God, and lived a Christian life, highly esteemed and respected by all who knew her.

Mrs. Riffle leaves to mourn, four children, Mrs. Ben Patheal of St. Maries, Idaho, Mrs. Frank Wayne, Jesse and Miss Grace who made their home with her; two sisters, Mrs. C. H. Kaup of Whittier, Calif., and Mrs. John Fhornberg of western Nebraska, and two brothers, C. H. Roberts of Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, and J. E. Roberts of Payette, and two grandchildren, Bernice and Lois Patheal.

The funeral services was held Wednesday morning in the Baptist Church, Rev. Ford M. Burtch officiating.

Interment was made in Riverside Cemetery at Payette. (Riverside Cemetery)


We desire to thank the many friends and neighbors for the kindness and sympathy shown us during our sad bereavement in the death of our beloved mother. Mrs. Ben Patheal, Mrs. Frank Wayne, Jesse Riffle, Grace Riffle


New Plymouth Sentinel
Thursday, October 22, 1922
Lee Riggins Hit By Car Passes Away In Ontario Hospital

Lee Riggins, 6 years of age, who was struck by a car driven by Henry Williams Saturday evening about 7 o'clock died at the Ontario hospital about 4 o'clock Monday afternoon. The accident occurred on the main street of Fruitland when the boy attempted to cross the street near Stegner's store. Mr. Williams had just started up after stopping about a half a block away and meeting a big car going at a fast rate of speed with spotlight, raising considerable dust and did not see the child until almost upon him. In an effort to miss the boy Mr. Williams swerved to the right and ran into a post, but the corner of the radiator or springs struck him on the back of the head inflicting the wound which proved fatal.

Mr. and Mrs. Thos Riggins and family came to Fruitland about two weeks ago from Prairie, Oregon. Mr. Riggins obtaining a lease on the blacksmith shop formerly operated by G. W. Pickleseimer.

Payette Enterprise (Thursday, October 12, 1922)

Little 6-year-old Lee Riggins, who was accidentally struck with a car Saturday nite which was driven by Henry Williams of Fruitland, passed away at his home Monday afternoon. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Riggins, who moved here about two weeks ago from Prairie City, Oregon. Mr. Riggins having opened the Fruitland blacksmith shop. The funeral was held in the Baptist church, Tuesday afternoon, at 2 o'clock and interment made in Riverside cemetery. The bereaved parents have the heartfelt sympathy of the entire community. (Riverside Cemetery)

New Plymouth Outlook
Friday, June 30, 1905
The infant child of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Ringer died last night.

Payette Independent
Friday, February 08, 1907
Death of Miss Emma Ringheim

Miss Emma Ringheim died Tuesday morning at 11 o’clock from heart failure. She was the teacher of the seventh grade in Central school, and while she had been in poor health her immediate danger was not known until a short time before her death. Her mother and brothers and sisters were living at Long Beach, Cal., to which place they had moved since Miss Ringheim came to Payette.

Funeral services were held at the Methodist church yesterday afternoon at 8 o’clock, Rev. McCoard officiating. The remains were then shipped to Nevada, Ia., the former home of the family.

Payette Enterprise
Thursday, February 13, 1919
RIX, W. H.

W. H. Rix of Weiser died at the O.S.L. depot in Payette last Monday evening. He had been engaged by O. W. Porter to go to Letah to assist in the care of some sheep and left Weiser that morning, arriving at Letah a few hours later, and was taken suddenly ill. A doctor was summoned from Emmett who advised his return to Weiser, and while at the depot in Payette was taken worse and a doctor from here was called but arrived too late to render any assistance and death ensued a few minutes later. The body was taken to Wood and Spaulding's Undertaking parlor, and Tuesday morning was shipped to Weiser for burial. Deceased was 67 years of age and leaves a wife and one son living in Weiser.

New Plymouth Sentinel
Thursday, June 15, 1922
Dies at The Dalles

Bernice Roberts, a cousin of Darnall brothers of New Plymouth, and who had many friends in New Plymouth and at Fruitland where she attended school six years ago, died Saturday at The Dalles, Ore. Mrs. M. M. Morris, and Mrs. Geo. Darnall left Saturday to attend the funeral at The Dalles.



Payette Enterprise
Thursday, April 13, 1922

Mrs. C. H. Robertson one of Payette's respected citizens and beloved women, passed away at her home on 9th street Tuesday morning at 4:30, following a long continued illness of Brights Disease. Mrs. Robertson was a good Christian woman and a member of the First Church of Christ Science, where she was faithful in attendance when permitted by health to attend and where she will be keenly missed by a large circle of friends.

She was born at Zainsville, Ohio, August 21st, 1859 and married to C. H. Robertson at Louisana, Missouri, October 6th, 1880. Moved to Ashland, Oregon, April 1st, 1912, and to Payette in 1919. Since coming to Payette, Mr. and Mrs. Robertson have made many close friends whose hearts will be saddened to learn of the passing of Mrs. Robertson.

Besides a husband, she is survived by three children. They are C. C. Robertson of Ashland, Oregon; Mrs. A. J. Necola of Salt Lake, Utah; and L. C. Robertson, who has spent the last few months in assisting in the care of his mother.

The remains, accompanied by the husband and L. C. Robertson left on No. 18 early Wednesday morning where interment will take place at Louisana, Missouri, beside her three children who passed away in infancy.

New Plymouth Sentinel
Thursday, February 23, 1911
Sunday morning at 3 o'clock the infant son of Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Robertson died at the home of Wm Thomson, south of town. The funeral was held at Bramwell on Monday.

The Payette Independent
Thursday, July 09, 1931
L. W. Robinson Called to Salt Lake City

Mr. and Mrs. L. W. Robinson and family left Monday evening for Salt Lake City where Mr. Robinson was called by the sudden death of his father, who died Monday morning.

The Robinson family was accompanied by Harold Freeman of Boise.

J. A. Baird of Ontario is doing Mr. Robinson's watch and repair work for him during his absence.

Payette Enterprise
Thursday, May 22, 1919

Prominent Fruitland Woman Succumbs to Grim Reaper after long illness

Mrs. Ruth Rodgers, who suffered from a paralytic stroke about a month ago, passed away peacefully at the Rodgers home at an early hour Thursday morning. following is a brief resume of a long and eventful life:

Ruth Bailey Gregg was born in Charmichals, Pennsylvania, in the year 1834 and died May 15, 1919, at her home in Fruitland. At the time of her death she had attained the age of 84 years, 6 months and 27 days.

In the year 1855 she became the wife of Alexander Rodgers and they went to Iowa a part of the Great American desert at that time.

Two sons were born to them before the Civil War broke out at which time Mrs. Rodgers returned to her father's home in Pennsylvania while Mr. Rodgers fought with the northern army.

After four years they again took up their life in the mid-west seeming to mend their broken fortunes and rear their family. Five children were born to them after the war, making a family of seven, four of whom are yet living. Now, ofter an unusually long, active and happy life, Mrs. Rogers will be laid to rest beside her husband in the beautiful cemetery near their former home at Wymore, Nebraska.

Mrs. Graham Park wand two little sons left Monday morning on the early train to accompany the remains of her mother to her last resting place.

The funeral services were held Sunday afternoon at 3 o'clock on the lawn at her home. Rev. Chas. McCoard of the Methodist church and Rev. Ford M. Burtch of the Baptist Church officiating.

The Payette Independent
Thursday, April 09, 1931

Mrs. C. D. Roe of LaGrande, Oregon, who has been visiting at the home of her son Jim Roe of this city, passed away Monday night. She had been ill with heart trouble for the past three months. She leaves to mourn her loss five sons, and a daughter of Oakland, Calif. Mrs. Roe was 75 years old at the time of her death.

She was laid to rest in the Union cemetery at Union, Oregon, Tuesday afternoon


New Plymouth Sentinel
Thursday, August 09, 1917
The infant son of Mr. and Mrs. W. S. Rogers died last Thursday. The baby was one of a pair of twins and had been sick for several weeks with whooping cough. The funeral was conducted from the family residence by Rev. H. F. Knight. The burial was in Parkview cemetery. (Park View Cemetery)


Payette Enterprise
Thursday, July 28, 1921

Mrs. W. F. Sherwood received the sad news last Saturday by wire from Goldfield, Nevada, from a sister, announcing the death of her father, Mr. Addison A. Rose, who passed away that day at the hospital in Reno, Nevada, the message being sent from another sister who was with her father at Reno, at the time of his death. Mr. Rose has been failing very fast for the past eight months and was past his 78th birthday. His life was one of varied experience having lived at some time or other in almost every state in the Union. In his younger days, he served in Civil war and later freighted by team into the western states, served several years as locomotive engineer and conductor, served two terms as Sheriff of Beaverhead County, Mont., from which position he resigned to serve two terms as a member of the State Legislature of Montana, after which he again become identified in the service of the Union Pacific Railroad Co., for several years, coming to the village of New Plymouth, in March, 1898, where for many years he took an active part in the building up of that community making Idaho his home until about two years ago when he went to Nevada, to make his home with his daughter.

Mr. Rose made many friends in this part of Idaho during the past 23 years who will regret to learn of his death.


Payette Independent
Friday, March 02, 1906

Alexander Rossi, a pioneer of Idaho and for more than 10 years during the early history of the Payette Valley a prominent resident of this community, having resided with his family in Washoe where he conducted a large sawmill, died at his home in South Boise Thursday afternoon of last week of neuralgia.

Alexander Rossi was a man of sterling character and during his long residence in this state made a host of friends who will mourn his loss most sincerely. In this community, where he lived from 1884 to 1895, he was respected and loved by all who knew him, and the older residents of the city who were associated with him at that time will always remember him as one above reproach, whose worth was known by his works. Mr. Rossi was a prominent Mason, having been a leading spirit in the organization of Washoe Lodge No. 28, A. F. & A. M., of this city, and was its first worshipful master. Later he assisted in the organization of the Royal Arch Chapter, A. F. & A.M., of Payette and was its first high priest.

The funeral of Mr. Rossi was held from the residence in South Boise on Sunday afternoon, the cortege that accompanied the remains to the Masonic cemetery, where interment was made, having been one of the largest ever seen in Boise. Services were conducted at the residence by Rev. Edwin S. Hinks of St. Michael's cathedral and at the burial ground under the auspices of the Masonic grand lodge. Many friends of the deceased from outside points attended the funeral among them having been Mr. and Mrs. A. B. Moss, Mrs. John McGlinchey, M. E. McDonald and Wm. Ireton of Payette; Messrs. Moss, McDonald and Ireton being Masonic brethren of the deceased. The Boise Statesman of Friday morning, February 23, gives the following account of Mr. Rossi's death and career:

"He was ill less than a day. He attended to his regular business affairs the day before. Wednesday night he had a severe attack of neuralgia pains for a short time, after which he rested fairly well until yesterday morning, when he had a second attack which lasted about an hour. About noon the third attack came on and was more severe than the preceding ones. After a time the pains seemed to have left him and he settled in his chair and apparently was about to fall asleep when he passed away.

"Deceased is a pioneer of Idaho, having come to Idaho nearly 50 years ago when this country was still a portion of Washington, and has made his home within its present borders since.

"He was born in Germany, March 10, 1828, and came to the United States, settling in California, during the early '50s. From there he went to Oregon City, Ore., where he was proprietor of a machine shop. His next move was to Lewiston, Idaho, in 1858, where he engaged in the sawmill business and conducted an assay office. Next he removed to Idaho City in 1862, where he also engaged in the lumber business and opened an assay office. In 1865 he came to Boise.

"He was married in 1873, Mrs. Rossi surviving him. They resided in this city until 1884, when they removed to Washoe, near Payette, where Mr. Rossi built a saw mill. He run this until 1895, when he and Mrs. Rossi returned to Boise and established the present home. Since returning o Boise Mr. Rossi, up to the time of his death, had been running his sawmill in South Boise.

"Besides Mrs. Rossi he is survived by two daughters and one son. Mrs. G. A. Bennett of Denver, Mrs. B. M. Calloway of Boise and Alexander Rossi of Boise."

Payette Independent
August 12, 1893
Anna M. Rossi, aged 16 years, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. Rossi, of Washoe, died of diphtheria, at 6:30 o'clock on Saturday morning, August 5th.

It was a sad shock to the citizens of Payette when the word came from Washoe last Saturday morning, and was passed from house to house that Anna, the beloved daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. Rossi, had passed away. Many had known the dear girl from prattling childhood; a great loveable soul and a bright sunny disposition had made her the pet of her own home and won the esteem of all who knew her. Her sickness was of a short duration, lasting but little more than a week. A month ago she returned with her mother from Kenosha, Wisconsin, where she spent a year in school and would have returned within a few short weeks to enter the schoolroom for another term. Her brothers and sisters were absent when the grim messenger came and were unable to reach home in time to see their loved one consigned to her last resting place.

It was a sad funeral -- one we shall never forget -- and the scene it presented melted every heart. The casket was placed in the shade of the trees in front of the family residence and the heartbroken father and mother, more desolate if possible for the absence of their remaining children; sat upon the porch, while the solemn and impressive service according to the Episcopal ritual was conducted by Rev. A. O. Worthing, of Weiser.

The casket was borne by gentle hands of those who had been among her friends and companions in life, and Anna was laid to rest beside her baby brother, under the trees of her father's orchard. The choir sang, "Bury Me Near the Old Home," just before the casket was lowered and the body returned to Mother Earth.

The floral offerings were numerous and some of them very beautiful.

The brother and sisters of the deceased, who could not reach home in time for the funeral, have since arrived and the family is now stopping at the home of Mr. McGlinchey until such time as it is considered safe to return to their own home.

In this hour of their sad bereavement, the hearts of our people go out to Mr. Rossi and his family.

The Payette Independent
Thursday, February 21, 1924

Word has been received of the death on Tuesday morning, February 18, of Mrs. A. Rossi at her home in Boise. Immediate cause of death is not known, but Mrs. Rossi's health had been failing for some time past. She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Addie Bennett of Denver, Colorado and Mrs. Bird Harland of Boise, and one son, Lex Rossi of Boise. Funeral arrangements will not be made until the latter can return from the northern part of the state where he was at the time of his mother's death. Both Mrs. Rossi's daughters are in Boise.

Mrs. Rossi was one of the pioneers of the Payette Valley, living at Washoe, where her late husband owned the Rossi sawmill. The family moved to Boise more than twenty years ago, but it was always Mrs. Rossi's custom to keep in touch with her old home and her old friends by paying frequent visits to Payette. Last fall she was here, the guest of Mrs. Celia Moss, and Mrs. Mc Glinchey. She leaves many in this community who will deeply deplore her death.


Fruitland Banner
Friday, March 10, 1916
Called East By Death of Father

Mrs. Wm Hollenbeck left yesterday for Illinois on account of the death of her father, who died quite suddenly while returning to his home from California where he had been for some time on account of ill health. Mrs. Hollenbeck expects to be away for several months.

Fruitland Banner (Friday, March 24, 1916)

Mrs. Hollenbeck arrives In Time for Funeral

A copy of the Grayville, (Ill), Mercury, was received at this office Thursday of this week, containing a lengthy account of the life, death and burial of Wm Rudolph, father of Mrs. Wm Hollenbeck, who died March 9, while en route to his home from California. According to the article Mrs. Hollenbeck and two boys arrived at Grayville Sunday evening, the funeral being held Monday.


Payette Enterprise
Thursday, January 23, 1930


Basil Russell, 28 year old pilot who with 15 passengers were killed when his plane was wrecked and burned near San Clemente, Calif., the account of which has been fully given in the daily papers, was a Payette boy, born on a farm in Washoe bottom, where he spent the most of his life. He was the youngest son of Mrs. F. B. Russell of Ontario, who first received the sad news of the fatal accident over the radio a few hours after it occurred and soon after the information was confirmed by a telegram from his brother. Besides his mother who left Wednesday for Los Angeles to be present at the funeral, his other relatives here are, his two uncles A. A. Stroup and S. C. Stroup, his grandmother, Mrs. Jacob Stroup of Ontario.

Russell's early ambitions let to living and his last visit here was about two years ago when he landed in his plane near his old home in Washoe.

He recently became a passenger pilot of the Maddox Air Lines in California and was returning from Mexico with 15 passengers at the time of the accident.

The Payette Independent (Thursday, January 23, 1930)



Basil Russel, pilot of the airplane in which he and 15 others went to their deaths near San Clemente, California, Sunday night, was born at Washoe, a couple of miles southwest of Payette 28 years ago, and grew to manhood at this place.

He was anxious as a boy to enter the aviation field and has for many years been classed as one of the most expert of airmen. Two years ago he visited his old home in a plane and many of his old friends were privileged to take flights with him. He was here again last year, but was passing through on a train and stopped off to see his mother, Mrs. F. B. Russell, who now lives in Ontario, and other relatives.

Basil has three uncles living here, Streeter and A. A. Stroup and W. A. Coughanour, and a number of cousins. He also has a host of old school mates and boy chums who mourn his sad death.

One of the saddest features of the unfortunate mishap is that his mother was listening in on the radio when the sad news of his death and that of his companions was broadcasted. It was a terrible shock to her and she has the deepest sympathy of everybody in this community.

It was the intention to have the body shipped here, but the government has interfered with this until such time as the investigation of the unfortunate affair is completed. Mrs. Russell left Wednesday for Los Angeles and will probably remain there until she can return with the body to be laid beside that of his father in the Payette cemetery.

The Payette Independent
Thursday, May 15, 1924

Mrs. B. F. McCarroll was called to Weiser, last Thursday by the news of the death of her father, Mr. H. J. Russell, who passed away late that afternoon. He had been an invalid for about 18 months, and had been gradually failing.

Mr. Russell was one of Weiser's most highly respected citizens, and was for many years one of the city's leading business men. While he had lived a retired life for several years, he always took a keen interest in the growth and development of Weiser and in every movement for the uplift of the community in a moral and religious sense. His death is a distinct loss to his community as well as to his family. In her hour of deep grief Mrs. McCarroll has the sincere sympathy of the Independent and all Payette friends.

New Plymouth Sentinel
Thursday, October 04, 1917
Letha Young Man Killed

John Russell of Letha was so seriously injured Thursday evening that he succumbed to his injuries. He was the 17 year old son of Mr. and Mrs. L. R. Russell. Mr. Russell is the blacksmith of that town. The accident took place on the Moses Hess farm, where the unfortunate young man was working. He had been mowing that day and was on has way to the Hess home when the accident occurred. In using the mower it was necessary to lengthen the tugs of the horses harness. When the horses were hitched to the wagon the young man forgot to shorten the tugs. The result was that the tongue of the wagon dropped from the neck yoke and the team becoming frightened ran away. Young Russell was thrown over front of the wagon when it went into a ditch and the wagon ran over his body and death resulted three hours later from injuries.

John Russell was an industrious young man of good habits and well thought of in the Letha neighborhood. His untimely death is a sad blow to his parents and the deep sympathy of the community will go out to them. The funeral was held Saturday and burial was in the Bramwell cemetery.

Payette Independent
Friday, December 11, 1903
Laid to Rest

The funeral services of Peter J. Russell, the unfortunate young railroad man who was killed by a special train last Thursday night near Ontario while attempting to remove a hand car from the track, were held on Saturday afternoon in Washoe, from the residence of his father-in-law, Jacob Stroup. The services were conducted by the Knights of Pythias lodge of Ontario of which deceased was a member. The remains were laid to rest in Riverside cemetery. Mrs. Russell, the widow, has lived in the Payette Valley from early girlhood and the heartfelt sympathy of her many friends goes out to her and her little children in this hour of their sad bereavement. (Riverside Cemetery)


These electronic pages are intended for personal research and may not be reproduced or distributed in any format without the knowledge and written permission of the submitter. Selling or using this information in a commercial venture is strictly prohibited. Any other use, including copying files to other sites, requires permission from the contributors prior to uploading. This page is offered as a courtesy. The USGenWeb Project makes no claims to the validity of the information submitted and believes that each new piece of information should be researched and proved or disproved according to the weight of evidence.

Return to Obituary Page Return to Payette County IDGenWeb Home